- 24 Hour Teen Contact: 713-529-TEEN
- 24 Hour Teen Contact - Espanol: 713-526-8088
- National Suicide Prevention: (800) 273-Talk (8255)
- Nine's Hot Line (800) 999-9999
If you are having suicidal thoughs:
- There is ALWAYS another solution, even if you cannot see it.
- Depression can cause you to have thoughts of hurting yourself - Please get HELP first.
- If your feelings are uncontrollable tell yourself to wait 24 hours before you take action.
- Talk to someone you trust (parent, counselor, friend, doctor, etc.).
- If you're afraid you can't control yourself, make sure you are NEVER alone.
- Don't isolate yourself.
Depression Warning Signs:
- Change in sleeping or eating habits
- Withdrawal from family and friends
- Alcohol or drug usage (or increased usage)
- Unusual neglect of personal appearance
- Visual personality change
- Difficulty focusing
- Recurrent complaints about physical/emotional state
- Lack of interest in praise or rewards
Suicide Warning Signs:
- Talking about suicide or death in general
- Talking about going away
- Talking about feeling hopeless
- Staying away from friends and/or family
- Losing desire to take part in favorite activities
- Having trouble concentrating
- Experiencing changes in eating or sleeping habits
- Giving away personal/prized items
- Participating in self destructive behavior (alcohol, drugs, fast driving)
What can parents do?
- Talk openly and freely
- Ask questions
- Be aware of any signs of bizarre thoughts
- Get Help: 800 SUICIDE
- NEVER leave a child alone when they are suicidal